Sunday, July 20, 2014

2014 Rudy & Beth Summer Road Trip Day 5

Prince Rupert to Smithers
A Visit to the 
Museum of Northern British Columbia


 I have to stop uploading photos of this place, I went wild and took over 100 along with videos.  When I first saw the artifacts and the structure of the Museum of History and Anthropology at the University of  British Columbia in Vancouver, I thought I'd seen the definitive museum housing first nations artifacts, now I'm not so sure anymore.  While Erickson's architecture is still sublime, the artifacts housed in the museum of Northern British Columbia, while not as plentiful, are beyond beautiful.  

The museum also houses artifacts of early settlers.  These items pale, incomparison to the first nations items.  Western culture seems  baren and barbarian compared to the exquisite nature, and artful design of everyday objects used by the first nations people.  












No comments: